Gum disease is a common problem that affects more than 85 percent of adults in America. Also known as periodontal disease, gum disease does not always present noticeable symptoms; but, if untreated, it could cause major tooth loss. Plaque buildup is the main cause of gum disease, and when bacteria travels to the gums, infection will rapidly occur. Infection can be detected if you have loose teeth, bad breath, tooth sensitivity and/or swollen gums.
To prevent the pockets in your gums from expanding, use the following tips to counteract gum disease.
- Practice a good oral hygiene regime. A soft-bristled toothbrush should be used to clean your teeth (at least) twice a day. Decay can be prevented if you use fluoride mouthwash and floss your teeth between meals.
- Cut out bad habits. Lifestyle choices could affect the development of problems like gum disease. Toxic chemicals in tobacco will restrict blood flow, and because alcohol causes dehydration, saliva production can aggravate the gums, proving the importance of cutting out bad habits.
- Improve your diet. We all enjoy sugary treats once in a while, but if your daily diet consists of sugary and starchy foods, gum disease will thrive. Sugary and starchy foods act as a foundation for bacteria to multiply, so cut back on them or eliminate them from your diet completely.
- Eat foods high in vitamins, minerals and nutrients.Boost your immune system by eating whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables, fish and lean meat. The stronger your immune system, the easier your body will be able to fight off infections and bacteria that lead to gum disease.
- Visit your dentist regularly.Nobody can give you advice quite like a dentist can. Organize routine check-ups to ensure that problems do not go unnoticed. With dental examinations, you can get to the root of a problem before it becomes untreatable.
Dr. Steffany Mohan is the Owner of Plaza Dental Group and is a leading dentist in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr. Mohan is an expert in implant, family and cosmetic dentistry, is Invisalign certified and has gained a reputation of excellence in the dentistry community. Plaza Dental Group has built a reputation for excellence and its close doctor-patient relationships, which has made them one of the premier offices of Iowa dentists