Teeth whitening is one of the most sought-after dental treatments today. After all, bright smiles do wonders in a world where first impressions matter. It’s not a treatment that lasts a lifetime however, but with proper maintenance you can slow down discoloration.
After your whitening procedure, the pores in your teeth remain open for the first few days, usually two to five. During this time, the teeth can absorb pigment, hence the importance of proper maintenance to retain that gorgeous grin. Here are five maintenance tips to retain a brighter smile.
Top 5 Post-Whitening Maintenance Tips
- It’s challenging to remove your favorite foods from your diet, however, it’s important to avoid pigmented foods and beverages that can be absorbed by the teeth; avoid coffee, tea, soft drinks, wine, ketchup, tomato sauce, and citrus fruit and fruit juices. Typically, any colored food or beverage has the potential to stain your teeth.
- If you are a smoker, remember that cigarette smoke and tobacco products create havoc on your smile. Nicotine leaves behind a yellowish-brown waxy-sticky substance that will quickly nullify any teeth whitening effects.
- Avoid toothpaste and mouthwash that contains Chlorhexidine, a bactericidal and bacteriostatic, used as an antiseptic in mouthwashes and toothpastes, usually to treat periodontal issues.
- Say no to exotic foods and snacks, particularly those that contain curry, saffron, and turmeric. These spices contain a natural dense yellow pigment that leaves behind surface stains.
- Refrain from any acidic foods and beverages like cranberry and orange juice, pickles, soy sauce, or lemons. Acidic foods gradually wear down the protective enamel, making them more susceptible to staining.
A good rule of thumb is to use a straw for the first few days after your teeth whitening procedure and brush teeth soon after meals.
Dr. Steffany Mohan is the Owner of Plaza Dental Group and is a leading dentist in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr. Mohan is an expert in implant, family and cosmetic dentistry, is Invisalign certified and has gained a reputation of excellence in the dentistry community. Plaza Dental Group has built a reputation for excellence and its close doctor-patient relationships, which has made them one of the premier offices of Iowa dentists