If you are single and dating, there’s one thing that matters most when it comes to success: your smile! According to the results of recent studies of single adults, excellent dental hygiene is the top attribute people look for in a mate.
Specifically, 58 percent of men said it was the number one thing they looked for, and 71 percent of women agreed. A white smile, fresh breath and a periodontal disease-free mouth is more important than what you wear, what you drive, how you style your hair and whether or not you know the difference between “they’re,” “there” and “their.”
So what does this mean? In short, if you’re single and looking for love, you need to take care of your teeth. The good news is that it’s not all that difficult to accomplish.
Here are 5 tips to get you started:
1) Brush regularly. This might sound like common sense, but after a late night out on the town it can be easy to forget to brush ’em up before you head to bed. The American Dental Association suggests you brush your teeth twice a day–once in the morning and once before bed–but it may be necessary to give the pearly whites a good cleaning in the middle of the day if you’re a snacker.
2) Floss. Flossing your teeth can seem like a major inconvenience, but the truth is, skipping this important daily dental hygiene step can lead to serious problems. Flossing helps prevent tooth decay, which leads to cavities. It also gets rid of tartar (which no date wants to see on your teeth), and it helps prevent bad breath. Trust the dental experts: flossing is worth it, and it only takes about two minutes–that’s less than five seconds a tooth!
3) See your dentist regularly. Having a dental checkup at least once a month can help prevent tooth decay, and the way your teeth feel new after a cleaning is amazing. But perhaps the best reason to see your dentist is to look into whitening. Remember: nearly everyone loves a healthy, white smile. Plaza Dental, dentist in Des Moines takes care of your oral health concerns.
4) Refrain from Certain Food Items: Stay away from certain foods—some foods can cause sensitivity & staining of your teeth because of their color pigmentation. Examples of such foods are red wine, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, carbonated drinks, candy and sweets, black coffee, tea and soy sauce.
5) Monitor Your Night Time Brushing Habits: However, with something so routine, it can be easy to forget that brushing your teeth isn’t a process where you should just be going through the motions. If you do, your teeth will suffer. Maintain a night time brushing schedule.
Dr. Steffany Mohan is the Owner of Plaza Dental Group and is a leading dentist in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr. Mohan is an expert in implant, family and cosmetic dentistry, is Invisalign certified and has gained a reputation of excellence in the dentistry community. Plaza Dental Group has built a reputation for excellence and its close doctor-patient relationships, which has made them one of the premier offices of Iowa dentists