What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are the protective tooth caps used to treat various types of oral conditions and they are a popular smile restoration method. A dental crown is shaped exactly like your natural tooth, custom designed for each patient to match the tooth color and structure. It covers the tooth as it is fixed over the damaged or chipped tooth till the gum line to encase the entire tooth. It looks so natural that no one will know there is an artificial crown unless you tell them yourself.
When dental crowns can be used?
Dental crowns can be used to repair, restore and fix various oral situations.
- To repair a damaged tooth
- To protect a sensitive tooth
- To repair broken tooth
- To fix the chipped tooth
- To fix cavity affected tooth
- To enhance discolored tooth and make it whiter and brighter
- To cover dental implants
- To make certain cosmetic and aesthetic enhancements
Are there different types of dental crown?
Apart from traditional fully encased dental crowns, there are Onlays or ¾ crowns available too. These are the crowns that do not cover the entire tooth and extends only over 3/4 of the natural tooth.
Moreover, dental crowns can be made out of different material depending upon your requirements. The dental crown material types are discussed below.
Dental Crown Procedure:
At the first visit to the dentist, you will be examined for the level of tooth loss due to decay or other reasons. X-rays will be taken to ensure the strength of the roots and the surrounding bones to hold the crown for the damaged tooth.
Now, the dentist will numb the tooth and surrounding gums with the help of local anaesthesia. Then, the tooth is cleaned. For badly decayed or damaged ones, the dentist not only cleans but also uses filling material to shape the tooth, so that he/she can take an impression of the tooth to prepare the permanent crown.
The damaged/broken tooth is fixed with a temporary dental crown and the patient is given an appointment for the 2nd visit. Meanwhile, the tooth impression is sent to a lab to prepare the permanent crown with the chosen or suitable material.
At the 2nd visit, the temporary crown is removed and the permanent crown is cemented in the right place.
Why are dental crowns a good choice?
If you have a damaged, chipped, broken or cavity affected tooth, you may go for dental crowns as it makes a great choice to repair your tooth and restore your confident bright smile. Below are more reasons to choose dental crowns as an option to fix your tooth and regain your beautiful grin.
- Dental Crowns are available in different materials:
- Porcelain with metal:Porcelain alone can be weak and wear off easily but once fused with metal, it can be strong and functions best for the back teeth.
- Acrylic for temporary crowns: Temporary crowns can be made in a dentist’s clinic and are usually made of acrylic. These acrylic crowns are used before the lab prepared permanent crown arrives.
- Metal alloys: Metals alloys made up of gold, nickel, chromium or other such alloys are also used to design the dental crowns. These metal alloy crowns are durable and function well with chewing and other force related oral movements.
- All ceramic: This is another great material option for a dental crown that offers the best color match for the natural tooth. It also serves the best for people who are allergic to metals. For front tooth restoration, all ceramic offers the most natural look and bright smile.
- Zirconium: These crowns allow light to pass as a normal tooth would, which provides a natural look.
Affordable dental crowns offer multiple advantages and help the quick restoration of your smile.
Dr. Steffany Mohan is the Owner of Plaza Dental Group and is a leading dentist in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr. Mohan is an expert in implant, family and cosmetic dentistry, is Invisalign certified and has gained a reputation of excellence in the dentistry community. Plaza Dental Group has built a reputation for excellence and its close doctor-patient relationships, which has made them one of the premier offices of Iowa dentists