The New Year is traditionally a time to make resolutions for improved dental health and smile. To increase your chances of keeping this year’s resolutions, make them specific. Don’t simply say, “I’ll be healthier”; instead, state what you will do to be healthier and how you will keep your teeth and smile healthy.
Here are 5 things that you can incorporate into your daily routine for a healthy and bright smile:
- Increase Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables: Cut down on red meat and instead, fill up on fruits and vegetables. The vitamins will enhance the health of your teeth and will help your immune system. It’s an all-around winning resolution.
- Stop Smoking: Your lungs will thank you for this one, but only a few people realize the damage that is caused to teeth and mouth due to smoking. Besides yellowing teeth, smoking can increase the chances of mouth and throat cancer. Brighten your smile from the inside out with this resolution.
- Brush and Floss Regularly: This should be a habit, but when life gets hectic, we tend to forgo the easy things. Eventually, your teeth will start to react to a lack of consistent care. Plaque not only damages your teeth but also causes heart issues. Brush twice a day and take the time to floss at least once before going to bed.
- Limit the Alcohol: Alcohol is one of those things that increase the likelihood of neglecting other issues. Limit the amount of alcohol in your life, and you will end up making your teeth happy and healthy.
- Visit Your Dentist: Visit your dentist regularly to increase the chances of discovering any problems in your mouth while they can still be fixed with minimal work. To maintain a healthy smile, dentists recommend 2-4 cleanings a year.
Include these oral care tips on your New Year’s resolutions list to keep both your oral health and your overall health in good shape. These New Year’s resolutions will ensure you a happy and healthy year that gives plenty of reasons to show a beautiful smile.
If you need any dental care assistance, contact our Des Moines dentist at Plaza Dental Group at 515-612-7148!
Dr. Steffany Mohan is the Owner of Plaza Dental Group and is a leading dentist in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr. Mohan is an expert in implant, family and cosmetic dentistry, is Invisalign certified and has gained a reputation of excellence in the dentistry community. Plaza Dental Group has built a reputation for excellence and its close doctor-patient relationships, which has made them one of the premier offices of Iowa dentists