In today’s world, people are busier than ever. Working moms with kids are hard pressed for time, which means that they can neglect the basics, including proper dental hygiene, for themselves and their kids.
Dental health is a critical component of overall health. Follow these tips to work dental hygiene into your daily schedule.
1. Drink lots of water. Keep a full pitcher of purified water in the fridge and water bottles in the car for easy access at home and on the go.
2. Keep a set of toothbrushes and toothpaste by the kitchen sink. Get in the habit of brushing teeth after meals right in the kitchen to make it more convenient.
3. Keep travel toothbrushes and floss on hand. Pack a set of travel toothbrushes and floss in your purse or in the car so that you can brush and floss on the go when time is tight.
4. Make smart snack choices. Keep healthy snacks ready to eat in the fridge such as washed and sliced fruit and vegetables and cubed cheese. Provide healthy options in the pantry as well such as whole wheat crackers and rice cakes.
5. Use fluoride rinses. A nightly fluoride rinse strengthens teeth, reducing the risk of cavities.
7. Chew gum. Sugar free gum with the sugar substitute Xylitol kills bacteria in the mouth following meals. It also pulls food particles off of the teeth and promotes saliva flow to help neutralize acids.
8. Educate your children. The more that kids know about making smart eating choices and practicing good dental hygiene, the better they will feel, encouraging them to maintain healthy lifestyles.